MLK Day “A Day On, Not A Day Off.”
What is MLK Call to Service?
Our goal is to create a beloved community and
this will require a qualitative change in our souls
as well as a quantitative change in our lives. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: ‘What are you doing for others?’” It wasn’t until 1983 that legislation was signed to recognize the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a federal holiday, and in 1994 when Congress designated the holiday as a national day of service.
It was Dr. King’s belief that is was our duty to give back to the community in order to make this a better place to live; therefore, on this day all Americans, no matter the age and background, should celebrate Dr. King through service and service projects that “strengthen communities, empower individuals, bridge barriers, and create solutions” (“About Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service,” 2014).
Communities around the country will acknowledge this Call to Service by offering volunteer opportunities to continue Dr. King’s wish to give back and help others.
Hands On Charlotte will hold its annual service event, MLK Call to Service on Saturday, January 18th. HOC is organizing three simultaneous, multi-faceted “volunteer fairs” that will give individuals, families and groups the opportunity to come together in a spirit of service and friendship, thereby paying tribute to the legacy of Dr. King. These volunteer fairs will take place at three local schools, and include a range of on-site service projects, such as:
• Sorting donated jackets, hats and gloves for Crisis Assistance Ministry
• Gift wrapping children’s books for Promising Pages
• Creating bookmarks that encourage reading to elementary school students
• Sorting nails for Habitat
• Packaging dried herbs for Friendship Trays
• Making kids Valentine’s Day candygrams for Classroom Central
• Contributing to blood drives, food drives and book drives
When: Saturday, January 18, from 10:00am until 12:00pm
• RSVP for Randolph Middle Here (4400 Water Oak Road, Charlotte, NC 28211)
• RSVP for Military & Global Leadership Academy at Marie G. Davis Here (3351 Griffith St, Charlotte, NC 28203)
• RSVP for Blythe Elementary Here (12202 Hambright Road, Huntersville, NC 28078)
If you have any questions, or you will be attending with a group of 5 or more people, please contact Laura at Hands On Charlotte, 704-333-7471. http://www.handsoncharlotte.org/mlk2014
About Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. (2014) In Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. Retrieved from http://mlkday.gov/about/serveonkingday.php
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *